Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Uncomplete Friendship

When I was four years old I used to have a very close friend. I always play with him, whenever I feel sad or happy. When I feel sad, he sit next to me and entertained me. When I feel alone, he accompanied me so I wasn't feel alone anymore. Actually, he wasn't the same age with me. He was almost 36 years old.
I usually play kites with him. He always taught me how to test the string and how to make it fly. He also taught me how to battle the other kite and cut the string of the enemy's kite. We always have our fingers bleeding whenever we play kites, but it wasn't matter, because it was fun. Usually, there was a small contest in Jakarta. There was a dozen kites in the sky and battle each other, so the last kite which flew freely in the sky, he was the winner. But yet, there were children who waited up for the final battle between two kites, and whenever one of the kites was cutted, they chased the kite. The one who caught the loose kite, he was the real winner of the contest. I didn't know why my very close friend was very good at chasing it. He always ran in a different way with the kite, but he always caught the last kite for me. He was very kind. Not only chasing the last kite, but he also skilled in flying the kite. He always had a great trick to cut the last kite and he also great in catching the last kite. It was a very exciting contest.
One day, in 1998, there was a monetary crisis. Because of that monetary crisis, I moved to Bandung, because my family felt it wasn't safe in Jakarta. Because of that, I couldn't contact again with my friend. I feel very lonely.
After the monetary crisis, My family and I moved again to Jakarta. The Government Banned the contest without a reason. I tried to contact my friend, but there was no answer and no information. I went to his home, I saw an old fashion-man, but I didn't see my friend. I asked the old fashion-man. Unfortunately He said ," Oh, I'm sorry to say this, but your close friend had allready died in the monetary crisis. There was a bullet hit the back of your friend's head. I couldn't do anything. I only could shout 'No, no, no...' But I couldn't save him. I'm terribly sorry for that.". When I heard what he said, I feel my chest wanted to explode. I couldn't hold my tears to make my cheeks' wet. I wanted to shout, but there was no way to make my friend alive again. Suddenly, he said again ," Actually, your friend always told me about you. He told me that you are the best friend of him he could have. He always admired you.". Without saying anything, I left him alone. I walk alone to my home. It was the first time I felt very alone in that day.
Seven years later, I went to a supermarket with my mother. Suddenly, I saw there was a dozen kites in the sky. I became remember my experience with my close friend when I was four years old and I was flying my kite together with my very close friend. Without permission to my mother, I ran to the kite shop near the supermarket and buy a kite and a string. I didn't know why there was a kite contest again. "Maybe the government had unbanned the contest again" I thought. After I got my own kite and my own string. I tested the string like my close friend used to teach me. As usuall, when I tested and flew the kite to the sky, my finger was bleeding. I smiled with my tears fell on my cheeks. After I flew my kite, I joinned the contest and I made it until there was only one kite left. I was very nervous, because deep down in my heart, I thought that I would cut the last kite. The last kite began going nearer to my kite. I used the trick that my close friend taught me, and I did it perfectly. The last kite flew loosely. Suddenly, many children came to chase the last kite. Without a long time to think, I ran to chase the last kite. The wind blowed my face strongly, but I don't care, I ran. The grown teenager chasing the last kite, but I don't care. I ran.

I ran.

1 comment: